I made a new dress! That was my first attempt of sewing with knit fabric.
The fabric was bought at Goldhawk Road in London. I liked this fabric instantly in the shop, but fell out of love with it as soon as got home: it’s just too much, too flowery, too many colours, too “not me”. Oh well, I finally dug it out and decided to try this pattern:
It’s from Burdastyle magazine 02/2009. The pattern looks simple, but as it was already noted on PatternReview, the instructions are quite scarce and not that much comprehensive.. I ended up making quite a few mistakes..
The sleeves are the most interesting part of the dress, and I still don’t know whether I like them.. Looks cute, but ..I’m not the fan of two layers of fabric in the sleeve – makes it too hot on a warm day, and too big to squeeze your arms in a cardigan on a chilly day.. Or am I too fussy?
Only after I finished everything and took pictures, did I notice that there was a horrible bubble at the back! (That’s why you need a photo session..) I made two darts at the back and took in the yoke seam. It’s still not perfect, but looks much better.
The neckline instruction was quite cryptic as well. I still don’t know whether I made it as Burdastyle intended or not..
The skills learnt:
Well, quite a lot, as it was my first knit fabric experience.. I bought a walking foot for this project (nice and useful), and discovered how to sew with twin needle.
I still don’t know whether I like this dress or not, but I definitely gained some valuable experience… :)
Thanks for looking and have a great day!