I made this summer knit dress in the end of august.
I wasn’t in love with my first jersey dress, but, surprisingly, I wore it a lot and had lots of compliments :) It’s so comfortable that I decided to make another dress from jersey.
The fabric was bought some time ago on the spur of the moment, I couldn’t resist it, somehow its print reminded me of Escher painting with butterflies..
I combined it with black jersey as 1 metre of border print (symmetrical border on both sides) material is just not enough for even a short dress (what was I thinking when buying just 1 metre?)
I chose this pattern from Burda magazine 07/2009:
This time I decided to pay more attention to instructions, and to make things “properly” (I never usually do..). Following Burda instructions, I bought iron-on Vilene Bias Tape from Minerva Craft for stabilising neckline, armholes and shoulder seams. (Next time I want to try using elastic tape..)
Now about the pattern.. As it is mentioned on PatternReview, this dress is huge! I made both back and front pieces 10cm more narrow, and even after that I had to take in side seams quite a lot! The neckline initially was too low, and I had to shorten the pattern too..
I used this pattern only because it seemed appropriate for combining two different types of fabric, I wouldn’t have gone for it otherwise..
Anyway, after all alterations, it came out more or less ok, not hugely flattering, but very comfortable.. I’m glad that I didn’t ruin that pretty butterfly fabric after all :)
Pictures were taken at Chiswick House and Garden , such a nice place to spend a day out!
Thanks for looking and have a nice day!